Clean Energy Grants, Credits & Incentives
The State of Maryland offers various support programs that reward homeowners and businesses for investing in green technology. This list provided by the Hyattsville Community Development Corporation:
Learn About Clean Energy
- The EmPOWER Maryland Program - MEA links to utility-sponsored rebates for energy efficient products and equipment.
- Green Energy DC - A single resource for all you need to know about energy efficiency and renewable energy programs, products and services in the District of Columbia.
- Maryland Clean Energy Center - Encouraging the transformation of the energy economy with programs that catalyze the growth of business, increase related "green collar" jobs, and make clean energy technologies, products and services affordable, accessible, and easy to implement for Maryland residents.
- Pepco on Renewable Energy - Pepco is committed to increasing the amount of renewable energy sources used to generate electricity for its customers. Today, that percentage is small due to the lack of available renewable resources. However, we are committed to seeing that percentage grow – up to 20 percent by 2020 in some states. We recognize that renewable energy has the potential to provide us with cleaner air, a more diverse energy portfolio, and less dependence on foreign fossil fuels.
- Calculate Your Carbon Footprint - A Carbon Footprint is a measure of the impact human activities have on the environment in terms of the amount of greenhouse gases produced, measured in units of carbon dioxide.
- WhiteHouse.gov on Energy & Environment - Leading the world in clean energy is critical to strengthening the American economy and winning the future. We can get there by creating markets for innovative clean technologies that are ready to deploy, and by funding cutting-edge research to produce the next generation of technologies.
Grants and Programs
- The Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency - A comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility, and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Utility Rebate Program - The Home Performance Rebate program offers homeowners bigger rebates than ever for home energy efficiency improvements. By combining a 35% rebate (up to $3,100 total) from the Maryland Energy Administration with a 15% rebate from your utility, you can save a total of 50% on home energy improvements
- Residential Clean Energy Grant Program - Receive financial assistance to install solar photovoltaic, solar water heating, geothermal heat pump, and wind turbine systems. http://energy.maryland.gov/Residential/cleanenergygrants/index.html
- Maryland Home Energy Loan Program - Apply for energy-efficiency improvement loans of up to $20,000. State Anemometer Loan Program Borrow a wind measuring devices to quantify and characterize the wind resources available at your property.
- EmPOWER Clean Energy Communities Grants - (Inquire on behalf of your town/city) Maryland counties (or county equivalents) can receive grants to finance energy efficiency projects that benefit low-to-moderate income Marylanders.
- Jane E. Lawton Energy Conservation Loan Program - Apply for a loan to identify and install energy conservation improvements.
Tax Credits for Individuals & Businesses
- Solar and Geothermal Residential Property Tax Credit
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption for Renewable Energy Equipment
- Bio-heating Oil Purchases - Receive tax credits for purchasing biofuels.
- Clean Energy Production Tax Credit for Individuals - Offers Marylanders a state income tax credit for electricity generated by qualified resources of 0.85 cents per kilo-watt hour, and 0.50 cents per kilo-watt hour for electricity generated from co-firing a qualified resource with coal.
- Alternative Fuels Tax Credit - Receive federal income tax credits for the installation of alternative fuel systems.
- Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Income Tax Credit - Residents and businesses can acquire a state income tax credit, up to $400, for purchasing an electric vehicle charging station, more specifically known as Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE).
- Electric Vehicle Excise Tax Credit - Receive an excise tax credit on a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle. Business entities may also qualify for the tax credit on up to 10 vehicles.
- Maryland Electric Truck (MET) Voucher Program - Receive financial assistance for the purchase of new, all electric trucks registered in the state of Maryland.
- Maryland Idle Reduction Technology Grant Program - Receive financial assistance for the purchase and installation of idle reduction technology on trucks.
- Renewable Fuels Incentive Board - Get an award of up to a $0.20 per gallon financial credit for the production of qualifying renewable fuels.